Re: Can a match attribute use a non-pattern expression?

Subject: Re: Can a match attribute use a non-pattern expression?
From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 09:35:04 -0400
At 4:38 PM -0400 5/4/99, Steve Dahl wrote:

>No. It doesn't say you have to use the abbreviated syntax. What it says is
>that certain of the axis identifiers (whether using abbreviated or verbose
>syntax) are not legal match patterns.

1. Where does it say which of the axis identifiers are and are not legal
match patterns?

Production [5] states

  AxisIdentifier ::=     'from-ancestors'
                          | 'from-ancestors-or-self'
                          | 'from-attributes'
                          | 'from-children'
                          | 'from-descendants'
                          | 'from-descendants-or-self'
                          | 'from-following'
                          | 'from-following-siblings'
                          | 'from-parent'
                          | 'from-preceding'
                          | 'from-preceding-siblings'
                          | 'from-self'

Section 6.4 states that "A pattern must match the grammar for Pattern. A
Pattern is set of location path patterns separated by |.
A location path pattern is a location path none of the steps of which use
either AxisIdentifiers or . or ... "

Furthermore none of the examples of patterns include axis identifiers.

Following the grammar out I don't see any way to get any AxisIdentifier in
as part of a pattern.  What am I missing? Or is the draft spec incorrect?

| Elliotte Rusty Harold | elharo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | Writer/Programmer |
|               Java I/O (O'Reilly & Associates, 1999)               |
|            http://metalab.unc.edu/javafaq/books/javaio/            |
|   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=1565924851/cafeaulaitA/   |