RE: XSL-FO Does it have the guts?

Subject: RE: XSL-FO Does it have the guts?
From: Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 09:48:59 +0000 (GMT)
 >  >  >   "if there are no descenders in element (a) place element (b) on top
 >  >  >    of (a) so that the topmost glyph in the part of element (b) which
 >  >  >    is below any part of element (a) touches the baseline of element
 >  >  >    (a), else..."
..
 > I like your attitude. Now, quick, someone, propose a syntax!

automating this sort of typesetting is one of the goals of TeX
follow-on projects (unless I misunderstand).  i dont rank it as a
manual thing - what I call manual is "this float logically goes on
this page, but the `color' of the graphic in contrast the table opposite
offends me and I shall therefore move it to the next page"

>  > these would be "Microsoft style sheets"? despite their patent, there
 >  > are other systems, you know...
 >
 > I do know [1]. Feel free to suggest additions to my little museum.
 > Even if your language of choice can't express Microsoft packaging ;)
 >
 > [1] http://www.w3.org/Style/History/
that seems to be about HTML style sheets. what about all the
typesetting system style sheet languages?

sebastian