RE: server side tools...

Subject: RE: server side tools...
From: James Robertson <jamesr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 09:58:56 +1000
At 05:02 3/06/1999 , Shalperin wrote:

  | > From: "Pete Beazley" <pete@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  | > > Shalperin [shalperin@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
  | > > Thanks for the information, however we need to support both IIS
  | > > and NS servers.
  | > > In fact, we have to support NT and Unix from DB to browser, plus
  | > > multiple DBs.
  | >
  | > Two thoughts on supporting both NT and Unix:
  | >
  | > 1. Consider PHP for server-side scripting on Unix, which is
  | > similar to ASP
  | > on NT. See http://www.php.net/ for general PHP information and
  | > http://www.php.net/manual/ref.xml.php3 for XML support in PHP.
  |
  | Again, thanks.  I was hoping not to have to write dual implementations
beyond a
  | server API layer, but I might have to - or not use XSL at this time  :(
and
  | wait
  | for more tools to be written (no time to do this ourselves - hint,
hint, we're
  | willing to pay...).
  |

  | > 2. Consider a distributed app, using Active Server Pages on
  | > the NT server as
  | > a remote XML module of sorts.
  |
  | <snip for brevity>
  |
  | A good idea, unfortunately our x-plat support is based on our clients'
  | configuration (they will maintain the servers), so we can't rely on
them using
  | NT.
  |
  | We're just slicing ourselves open on this bleeding edge.  ;)

Have you come across Java "servlets"? These are cross-platform,
and there are pre-built components such as Cocoon which support
XML.

We're just getting into them ourselves, so I can't really tell
you much about them yet. But they look very, very promising.

(Have a look at java.apache.org for some stuff.)

James Robertson
Step Two Designs Pty Ltd
SGML, XML & HTML Consultancy