RE: XML/XSL and ASP/IIS

Subject: RE: XML/XSL and ASP/IIS
From: "Britt, James" <james.britt@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 17:15:15 -0700
Actually, under IIS (and I suspect other servers as well) you *can* pass
parameters to an XSL file. Sort of.

You can set up IIS to process any file type through asp.dll. I've done
this with "virtual" XML files: files that end with .xml but contain
server-side
JavaScript. It gets processed like ASP and uses Response.Write to send out
the
generated XML. As far as I know, the MSXML object (if you're using
MSXML/IIS)doesn't
care about file extensions, so you can call the files whatever you want;
they just
happen to emit XSL/XML. I believe, though, that IE5 will not recognize an
xml
file unless it has the right extension (in case you want to directly view
the
output).

So, you could use http://www.myserver.com/SomeFakeFile.xsl?screenwidth=600,
and
have it create the desired XSL for 800x600 resolution.

I'd be curious to know if Apache, or Zope, can do this, or if other XML/XSL
processors are indifferent to file extensions.

James