Re: sample file

Subject: Re: sample file
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 1999 10:32:27 -0400
At 99/06/05 20:59 -0400, Chuck Robey wrote:
>Yes, thanks.  I've just gone from the "can this toolset do what I want"
>to the "how to do it best" phase, so I still have much to learn, but I'm
>getting more enthusiastic as I go.

There have been recent posts about the locations of various tutorial
materials.

>I would ask one question tho; I've seen much criticism of xsl, some
>saying that xsl does nothing that can't be done otherwise.

There has been a recent forum of opined discussion found through:

  http://www.xml.com/xml/pub/1999/05/xsl/EdNote.html

I have submitted another article for XML.com where I offer that although
the same solutions may, indeed, be solved by different languages, that
doesn't mean there can't be different languages to solve the same problem
using different approaches.  Check out XML.com for a future issue with the
article "Vive la différence!".

>Html can be produced (and often is)
>without xsl, but I don't see any other way to add groff markup and
>remove the original.

If you mean the print-oriented (though not print-restricted) XSL formatting
objects and semantics (à la unix groff formatting), then yes, these offer
new features not previously available in other defined formatting semantics
such as CSS.  But for many people, that subset offered by CSS will be
sufficient for their needs to paint a browser screen using XSLT for
transformation.

--
G. Ken Holman                  mailto:gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Crane Softwrights Ltd.           http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/