RE: sample file

Subject: RE: sample file
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 1999 08:01:07 -0400
At 99/06/07 10:19 +0800, Christian Wittern wrote:

>> Part of my objective of writing the article at:
>>
>>   http://www.xml.com/xml/pub/1999/04/holman/xsl.html
>>
>> was to provide working examples.  You can obtain the following files
>> through links in the article:
>
>Thank you for doing so. It proved very constructive for me. However, I have
>a problem with one of the files:
>>
>> Size     Date    Time  File
>> 18 878  99-04-22  13:36 xmlcom.msxsl         - IE5 XSL
>
>When using this file other than for direct browsing of XML, the MSXML engine
>complains that a DTD referenced in this file (that it, STYLESHEET.DTD) is
>not available. I have not found this file anywhere. Could you please give me
>some pointers?

I don't see any DTD referenced in the file:

  http://www.xml.com/1999/04/holman/xmlcom.msxsl

BTW, the stylesheet file cannot be validated with a DTD because I've not
restricted my generation of result tree nodes to only XSL constructs of
<xsl:element>, <xsl:attribute>, etc.  In many places I have used the short
form in the stylesheet to indicate the node for the result tree.

For example, I use:

... instead of:

  <xsl:element name="html">
  </xsl:element>

If I restricted myself to the latter, then a DTD could be useful, but since
I use the former, the stylesheet DTD wouldn't help me validate my
stylesheet.  In the MSXSL diagnostic environment I have documented in the
free resources section of our website, the scripting code turns off
validation of the stylesheet file specifically to avoid this problem.

But, as I said, the file doesn't reference any DTD, let alone one named
"STYLESHEET.DTD".  Perhaps you have turned on (or left on) validation and
the parser is trying to find out what the valid definition for
<xsl:stylesheet> is and you have misinterpreted the error message.  If this
is the case, all you have to do is turn off validation when you parse the
file, and you can see how that was done in the diagnostic environment.

I think this discussion has probably reached its limits of being useful to
other readers of the list, so you can respond to me directly on this issue
if you have more questions.

Good luck!

--
G. Ken Holman                  mailto:gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx