RE: XSL Optimizations

Subject: RE: XSL Optimizations
From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 15:34:20 +0100
I don't do this currently in SAXON. I've thought about it: I think the cases
where it can help are probably rather unusual, e.g. where someone does
select="FRED" then you can determine from the DTD that if FRED children are
not allowed, the result must be empty. There may also be cases where the DTD
tells us that we can avoid a sort, or that we can stop scanning children
after a certain point. But I've got many much more basic optimisations to do
first!

There's more value in such optimisations when compiling, in the interpreted
case you have to weigh the saving against the cost of doing the
optimisation.