RE: XSLT vs JSP

Subject: RE: XSLT vs JSP
From: Chuck Robey <chuckr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 12:44:09 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 27 Jun 1999, Didier PH Martin wrote:

> Hi Chuck,
>
> chuck said:
> XML may have very important uses in the publishing field, depending.
> Many publishers were hoping that SGML/DSSSL would be a useable common
> format, but it turned out to be too complicated for editors to encompass
> ... these folks are not programmers, so DSSSL could not address those
> people for which it had ben invented.
>
> The sheer size of the tools themselves were too huge, and the thought
> that most editors could tackle customizing their own DSSSL scripts is
> actually humorous.
>
> Didier says:
> It is true that for most people having to publish a document, DSSSL may be
> too hard to learn. The same problem applies to XSL. So, these people will
> probably rely on a much simple language like CSS. XSL and DSSSL have, at
> first sight, for most people about the same level of difficulties. Also,
> because CSS is based on a kind of property set approach, it can be easily
> encapsulated with a UI and therefore be more accessible to people without
> any programming knowledge.

My point may have been unclear, Didier.  It's that XML & XSL have at
least two distinct (and distinctly different) sets of users, and fitting
the needs of the set of folks who want to create web pages will very
likely destroy the usefulness for those users who write documents.  I am
saying, at base, that as far as possible, improvements that web users
need should be fit into extensions, so that the document writers need
not be forced to use tools that are not appropriate for them.

I was saying that I applaud having JSP as a separate part.  It is of no
use to document writers, and having it be separate injures the web page
writers not at all.  Being the larger group, the web page writers tend
to overlook the needs of the document writers.

> regards
> Didier PH Martin
> mailto:martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> http://www.netfolder.com

chuckr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx       | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic and jaunt, both FreeBSD-current.
(301) 220-2114              |