Re: XSLT vs JSP

Subject: Re: XSLT vs JSP
From: Paul Prescod <paul@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 12:31:24 -0400
Chuck Robey wrote:

> But that was what it was intended to be, something that an editor could
> use to design a document.

Do you have evidence to back up that assertion? Nobody I have spoken to
that was involved with that effort ever gave me the impression that DSSSL
was supposed to remove the need for specialized technical expertise.

> Editors do that, you know, I've known
> several, they don't ask programmers to do that for them, at least until
> DSSSL tried to force that.

You know several editors working in medium-sized SGML or XML systems that
write all of their stylesheets themselves? Do they do both print and
online publishing? What style tools and languages are they using? Is it a
policy of these companies that people hired to do "editing" be technical
enough to write stylesheets for generic markup?

 http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

"The new revolutionaries believe the time has come for an aggressive
move against our oppressors. We have established a solid beachhead
on Friday. We now intend to fight vigorously for 'casual Thursdays.'
  -- who says America's revolutionary spirit is dead?