xslt specification comment

Subject: xslt specification comment
From: "Smith, Brian BC SSI" <BS185791@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 07:45:32 -0500
In the specification it says:

NOTE: the XSL WG intends to define such a mechanism in a future
version of this specification or in a separate specification."

Referring to implementation hooks for extension functions.

Extension functions are very useful.    I know that there are
many items on the plate of the committee, but please try to get a standard
for the implementation bindings.

I have used the extension functions in both XT and SAXON
and come to the conclusion that I can  not use them for now
because there is standard way to define the bindings of
the extension functions into the parser.   My preference is
something that does not require a specified base class.  I
like the kludge that XT does...if this could be cleaned up...

Brian Smith
Shell Services International