RE: Chapter 14 of the XML Bible now online

Subject: RE: Chapter 14 of the XML Bible now online
From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 18:20:26 -0400
At 1:59 PM -0600 7/20/99, Mike Brown wrote:

>I have one minor nitpick. Under 'Node Axes' you say:
>
>  Node Types
>
>  As well as the name of a node and the wild card, the
>  axis may be followed by one of these four node-type bases:
>
>    comment()
>    text()
>    processing-instruction()
>    node()
>
>  The comment() node type selects a comment node. The text()
>  node type selects a text node. The processing-
>  instruction() node type selects a processing instruction
>  node, and the node() node type selects any type of node.
>        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>  (The * wild card only selects element nodes.)
>

>Section 6.2 of the XSLT spec says:
>
>  node() matches any node other than an attribute node and
>  the root node

This is a very tricky point, and I've been wrong about it before; but my
understanding is that the section of the spec you cite applies only to the
more restrictive case of match patterns; whereas the part of my book you're
referring to is discussing select expressions (i.e. full XPath syntax) in
which context node() does include attribute nodes.

| Elliotte Rusty Harold | elharo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | Writer/Programmer |
|               Java I/O (O'Reilly & Associates, 1999)               |
|            http://metalab.unc.edu/javafaq/books/javaio/            |
|   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=1565924851/cafeaulaitA/   |