Re: Media, charset, title attributes for xsl-stylesheet PI

Subject: Re: Media, charset, title attributes for xsl-stylesheet PI
From: James Clark <jjc@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 09:59:01 +0700
"Paul W. Abrahams" wrote:

> The semantics of the xsl-stylesheet processing instruction appear to be
> derived from HTML used with CSS.  The pseudo-attributes of that PI are
> `type', `href', `title', `media', `charset', and `alternate'.  It's
> clear to me now how `type' and `href' are used with XSLT stylesheets:
> `type' should have the value ``text/xsl''

That hasn't been decided yet.

> and `href' should point to the
> XSLT stylesheet file.
>
> But what is not clear is what significance if any the rest of the
> pseudo-attributes have or even might have for XSLT.    I've played
> around with IE5, which seems to silently ignore them.   It's possible
> that `title' and `alternate' would be used by a user agent to select a
> stylesheet, I suppose,

Yes: the user agent can use them to allow a user to select between
multiple stylesheets.

> but the CSS cascade isn't applicable to XSLT.

XSLT can blend together multiple stylesheets.  The obvious way to apply
a sequence of XSLT stylesheets A.xsl, B.xsl, C.xsl is to treat it as
equivalent to applying a single stylesheet that imports A.xsl, then
B.xsl, then C.xsl.

> And given that XSLT is one level removed from its result namespace, I
> can't see how `media' or `charset' would apply at all.

charset is not useful for XSLT because XSLT uses the standard XML way of
specifying the charset of the stylesheet. media allows you have to
specify different stylesheets for different media (ie one stylesheet for
print and one for screen).

James