Media, charset, title attributes for xsl-stylesheet PI

Subject: Media, charset, title attributes for xsl-stylesheet PI
From: "Paul W. Abrahams" <abrahams@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 22:12:55 -0400
The semantics of the xsl-stylesheet processing instruction appear to be
derived from HTML used with CSS.  The pseudo-attributes of that PI are
`type', `href', `title', `media', `charset', and `alternate'.  It's
clear to me now how `type' and `href' are used with XSLT stylesheets:
`type' should have the value ``text/xsl'' and `href' should point to the
XSLT stylesheet file.

But what is not clear is what significance if any the rest of the
pseudo-attributes have or even might have for XSLT.    I've played
around with IE5, which seems to silently ignore them.   It's possible
that `title' and `alternate' would be used by a user agent to select a
stylesheet, I suppose, but the CSS cascade isn't applicable to XSLT.
And given that XSLT is one level removed from its result namespace, I
can't see how `media' or `charset' would apply at all.

Any thoughts on all of this?

Paul Abrahams