RE: XSL variable types

Subject: RE: XSL variable types
From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 11:41:03 +0100

Actually XPath specifies four explicit data types (string, number, boolean,
node-set) and allows "other", while XSLT provides result-tree as an example
of "other". This leads to some interesting complications, e.g. the semantics
of comparing a node-set to a result-tree are undefined.

I'll have a look at allowing general objects as parameters to SAXON
extension functions. Really I'd prefer it (and I'm sure users would!) if the
standard defined a Java interface to extension functions. I'm not totally
happy with xt's introspective approach, for example it doesn't leave room
for requiring an extension function to declare whether or not it has
side-effects.

Mike Kay