Re: accessing the DTD

Subject: Re: accessing the DTD
From: "Alfred Towell" <alfred@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 09:07:48 -0500
Ibm has an early access version of their xml4j parser that stores a schema
(XML) version of the dtd as a child of the DocType node.  This is
acknowledged to be in violation of the DOM standard.  It is, however, very
useful.

The download is of binary only, but perusal of the API and the printouts of
the information show it is extremely useful for many purposes.  My own use
is for automatic production of XML from a database of travel information for
highly dynamic reports of Chicago area traffic problems.  Other solutions of
this problem by Oracle and others require extremely difficult programming
solutions that can be avoided by use of the available DOM grammar.

I see no reason why this information should not be provided and why XSLT
transformations should not be done on it and/or be guided by it.

Alfred