RE: What will be the future improvements of XSLT?

Subject: RE: What will be the future improvements of XSLT?
From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 16:13:46 +0100
> If reuse of result trees was possible, 90% off my problems and ugly
> hacks would disappear. I would really appreciate to know the rationale
> why the spec says what is says (implementation problems?)

The good news is that it's working nicely in SAXON now "in the lab". It's
even legal, I do it using an extension function saxon:nodeset that converts
a result tree fragment to a nodeset (actually, to a document node, so that
all the navigation works cleanly). I discovered to my own surprise that it
even creates indexes for any relevant keys!

The bad news is that I'm not sure when the next SAXON release will be,
there's a lot of work to do on documentation and testing before I can ship a
new version.

Mike Kay