Disabling escaping of characters in output

Subject: Disabling escaping of characters in output
From: BOUCHET Sébastien <sebastien.bouchet@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 11:38:54 +0200
Title: Disabling escaping of characters in output

Hi,

I'm experiencing the following trouble with an XSL stylesheet : if I try to output some text (with xsl:text or not) contaning ", for instance, I get &#34; as the output (with SAXON only ; IE5 doesn't escape anything). This is fine in an HTML page beacause the HTML renderer that will process the page knows how to interpret entity references.

But know suppose that the very " is to be output as text, and not as html ? I mean that the app using the result is not necessarily a browser : maybe it's not aware of the meaning of &foo; sequences.

I guess <xsl:output> has something to do with this problem, but it's not yet supported. Has anyone already run into this problem ?

By the way, which behaviour is the standard one : escape (would mak sense this the major purpose of XSLT is to transform XML into itself) or not ?

Regards,

Sebastien