RE: select-distinct in for-each ?

Subject: RE: select-distinct in for-each ?
From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 17:05:05 +0100
> > As you guess, I have duplicates that need to
> > be removed -- I'm looking for a select-distinct.
>
> This is a pretty common requirement and it may be interesting to
> contemplate if xsl 1+n could offer some help for that.
>
> At first glance it may seem that xsl:sort could have an
> option that said to discard duplicates while sorting, but it probably
isn't
> that simple.

That only solves a small subset of the problem.

If you're looking for possible XSL extensions, start with the SAXON group-by
construct (http://users.iclway.co.uk/mhkay/saxon). That essentially allows
you to apply some extra processing at the start and end of every group of
consecutive elements with the same value for some expression. I've found
this solves pretty well all of the practical grouping problems I've seen on
this list, with the possible exception of multi-level grouping and possibly
totalling over a group (though there are other SAXON extensions to handle
that).

Mike Kay