Re: What does fo: stand for?

Subject: Re: What does fo: stand for?
From: Stephen Deach <sdeach@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 18:46:18 -0700
The abbreviation "fo" (or "FO") refers to "formatting-object", which is the
general case. (Which incudes all objects defined in the XSL specification
[as distinct from the XSLT specification].)

Flow objects are a subset of FOs that are the objects within an fo:flow or
fo:static-content object.

Though fo: is the namespace prefix, the usage of "fo" or "FO" in general
text is not recommended. The full spelling of "formatting-object"  or
"flow-object" (for the apprpriate subset) should be used. There is ongoing
debate about the use of the hyphen in these terms.

The usual W3C caveat that these are WDs, not RECs applies (loosely
rephrased): "This is subject to change until accepted as a recommendation."

---SDeach

At 16:08 1999-10-06 -0700, you wrote:
>I know this may seem a ridiculous question, but I'm trying to do some
>documentation on FOs, and I don't see anything in the spec regarding whether
>the fo: in the namespace prefix is supposed to refer to formatting object or
>flow object. Is there a definitive answer to this somewhere in the spec that
>someone knows of and I'm just missing it?
>
>thanks.
>Chuck White
>Creative Director
>ADVANCE Recruitment Advertising, Inc.
>chuck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>http://www.advancerecruitment.com

This e-mail reflects the opinion of the Editor of the XSL (formatting
   objects) Specification. This is my interpretation of the
   current (majority) opinion of the portion of the XSL-WG that
   is working on formatting objects. It may not reflect the opinions
   of all members of the XSL-WG or even of all members of the portion
   of the WG that is working on the formatting objects. It is subject
   to change.
Unless explicitly so stated in the text, it does not represent an
official position of Adobe Systems, Inc.
  Stephen Deach                       |  Sr Computer Scientist
  408-536-6521 (office)               |  Adobe Systems Inc.
  408-537-4214 (fax)                  |  Mail Stop E15-420
  sdeach@xxxxxxxxx                    |  345 Park Ave
  xsl-editors@xxxxxx                  |  San Jose, CA 95110-2704