Re: A FAQ question about non-Latin characters in XT output

Subject: Re: A FAQ question about non-Latin characters in XT output
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 17:19:09 +0100 (BST)
please don't do that:-)

>  I'd like to get in my xml output:
>  i G I &#x0107;

Of course you _shouldn't_ want that. As the version with utf-8 encoded
output is completely equivalent to an XML application.

However, assuming that you will want that anyway, I think that the
way to get this in XSL would be to change the output encoding
from utf-8 to anything else which does not directly encode
position  &#x0107; then this slot will have to be output
as that (or the decimal equivalent)

so in otherwords you want
<xsl:output
  method="xml"
  encoding="iso-8859-1"
  />

However xt (the new release to match the new PR) says:

> The xml output method ignores the encoding, doctype-system, doctype-public,

so currently I don't think you can do this in xt (without a lot of pain)

David