Re: Nostradamus (was Re: FO. lists as tables)

Subject: Re: Nostradamus (was Re: FO. lists as tables)
From: pandeng@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Steve Schafer)
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 1999 22:59:33 GMT
On Fri, 15 Oct 1999 14:39:09 -0700, you wrote:

>No, portability means that if a European designer makes a stylesheet that
>looks good on his A4 printer, I should be able to handle it on my US letter
>printer without anything running off the edge.

That's just one particular facet of portability. If the European
designer decides that the document should reformat itself
intelligently according to the media dimensions, then he should be
able to say so. If he wants the document to be paginated and laid out
in exactly the same way, regardless of the media dimensions, then he
should be able to say so. In the latter case, he has to take
responsibility for ensuring that the layout is compatible with a
variety of media dimensions, but it should still be his choice.

>I should also be able to look at it on screen without having to scroll
>back and forth, like I do with Acrobat.

I don't follow you. What does that have to do with formatting?

-Steve Schafer