Re: XSL:FO: Left ... Center ... Right

Subject: Re: XSL:FO: Left ... Center ... Right
From: pandeng@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Steve Schafer)
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 23:22:52 GMT
On Sun, 17 Oct 1999 21:05:38 +0100 (BST), you wrote:

>but the space-after/before characteristics apply just to blocks, surely?
>can you show how you would mark it up?

You can put them inside inline-included-containers.

>you mean "space-after='hfil'", as it were?

Yes, although I don't think I'd advocate that particular syntax. :)

As others have mentioned, the TeX algorithm doesn't actually center
the middle piece of text. You could put the left and right pieces in
containers having identical, explicit widths, but I think the most
general solution would be to have two (or three) separate, superposed
boxes, each occupying the full width of the line.

>It does bother me that four people can suggest four different ways of
>solving the same (simple) problem.

That bothers me, too. It's an inevitable consequence of
backwards-compatibility, and sometimes also a sign of
design-by-committtee.

>It bothers me even more to read phrases like "in the long run". This
>is pretty core stuff -- it surely needs to be clear in XSL FO 1.0?

Well, both you and I agree that it's something that should be in XSL
1.0, but I'm not holding my breath.

-Steve Schafer