Re: FO. lists as tables. Re: Q: XML+XSL transforms to a print-ready format

Subject: Re: FO. lists as tables. Re: Q: XML+XSL transforms to a print-ready format
From: pandeng@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Steve Schafer)
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 23:21:22 GMT
On Mon, 18 Oct 1999 11:55:05 +0200 (Europe de l'Ouest (Heure d'été)),
you wrote:

>Ok, so you're against shortcut properties in general, not 'font' in
>particular. That's fair.

Well, I _do_ think that the font property is a particularly messy one.

>Note, however, that your style sheets will become significantly longer
>if you abolish shorthand properties.

That doesn't bother me at all. There are two main objections to
verbose XML files:

1) Large size means slower transmission times.

This is easily remedied: Standard compression algorithms do a very
good job of compressing XML files to a small fraction of their
original size.

2) It's harder for a human to process.

I don't think it was ever intended for XSL fo's to be routinely edited
by hand.

-Steve Schafer