Re: XSL FOs -> PDF using InDesign

Subject: Re: XSL FOs -> PDF using InDesign
From: Eric Muller <emuller@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 13:08:07 -0700
Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> I was wondering
> about writing something to transform FOs into the tagged text format
> that InDesign supports for import. Is anyone familiar with that markup
> set? Is it capable enough?

The documentation for it is on the InDesign CD. I suppose it's no secret,
by I got my copy (of this documentation) internally, so I am no sure it is
a version for public consumption.

In any case, no, I don't think it is powerful enough. It is pretty much
limited to character and paragraph formatting properties. I believe it is
not possible to specify which frames occur on which pages via a tagged
file. You can get a good feeling for what it is by exporting a document to
a tagged file and looking at it.

On the other hand, the plug-in mechanism seems much better. In fact, the
SDK tutorial has an example of an import filter that creates a document
from scratch.

Eric (again, speaking for myself).