OT: XML Server dream

Subject: OT: XML Server dream
From: Eric van der Vlist <vdv@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 22:53:14 +0100
Hi,

I have been playing with XSL for a couple of months now.

I store an increasing volume of information in XML files which are
formatted into HTML through XSL-T and can be edited either with a text
editor or using php scripts.

The benefit is obvious and I will continue on this path.

However, I am losing some of the benefits I had using a RDBMS
(PostgreSQL) and I wonder if it wouldn't be possible to combine XML/XSL
with a server approach.

By server, I mean a process which would store XML documents not
necessarily in their text format, cache a domlike structure and manage
all the concurrency issues (yes, I mean transactional XML...).

This server should be capable to process queries written in XSL-T, but
also to process update statements (maybe as XSL extensions) and
administration commands.

It would be for XML data and XSL processing, what RDBMS are for
relational data and SQL.

I have done some research on the web and I have found many documents
about "XML servers", but none of them seems to match with what I mean.

Is my dream stupid or not feasible ?

If not, are you aware of any Open Source project going in this direction
?

Thanks

Eric