RE: XML/XSL on the client for dynamic UI

Subject: RE: XML/XSL on the client for dynamic UI
From: "Kaganovich, Yevgeniy (Eugene)" <ykaganovich@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 18:03:40 -0700
Ken,

Not sure if this is what you meant, but to expatiate on your point :

Other than lack of complient browsers, I can see no good reason why the end
user should not have access to the semantic information of a document. If
you want to keep information from being accessible, you should not
distribute it in the first place, not just hide it within HTML. You can use
XSLT on your data to produce another XML document, containing appropriate
ammount of information, and then serve it to the client along with a
stylesheet. (I do hope no one has a problem with XML->XML transformations
taking place on the server side :)

BTW, just because you make it uncomfortable to extract semantic information
by putting it into HTML format, doesn't mean you make it impossible: tools
like W4F (http://db.cis.upenn.edu/W4F/) seem very capable of getting it out
of HTML and back into the "righteous" form.

- Y.