Re: XSL FOs -> PDF using InDesign

Subject: Re: XSL FOs -> PDF using InDesign
From: "Chuck White" <chuck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 08:20:58 -0800
Back to an old discussion here, but I just got around to reading this
thread. Not everyone cranks out 50 million pages, and FOs aren't only for
those that do, nor is XML. I'm ignorant about SGML, but it seems like it was
designed for huge documentation projects. XML seems more about data, both
large and small repositories of it. My point here is that coming up with an
FO export plug-in for InDesign would be a wonderful thing, and my company
would seize upon it immediately (we don't currently have the resources to
develop such a thing ourselves). Even the InDesign-equivalent of something
like avenue.quark would be nice (assuming avenue.quark reaches its
potential). InDesign can read PageMaker and Quark documents, so it would
work as an overall translation device for us if FOs could be implemented. So
the issue of whether these kinds of programs handle massive page counts is
really moot, at least for us. After trying InDesign, I'm really not finding
any compelling reason to switch to it from Quark, but if FOs were added to
its export capabilities, we'd get multiple copies of it.

Chuck White
Creative Director
ADVANCE Recruitment Advertising, Inc.
chuck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.advancerecruitment.com
author of Internet Explorer 5 Developer's Guide, IDG Books
co-author Mastering XML, Sybex Books