Re: indentation

Subject: Re: indentation
From: "John E. Simpson" <simpson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 13:51:25 -0500
At 01:02 PM 11/10/1999 -0800, Chuck White wrote:
... overall, I'd be careful about warning people against learning the IE5
method. It's still a good way to get comfortable with the syntax, and not
everybody is a programmer or is comfortable working with the tools most
often discussed on this list. XT is my favorite tool, but mostly because I'm
a non-programmer and it's relatively easy to use and it follows the spec.
But I got my feet wet with IE5 because all I had to do was hit the reload
button when I made changes to my style sheet.

So while it's important that the distinction between the emerging standard
and the IE5 namespace is made, I still look at IE5 as a fairly decent
learning tool, if nothing else.

Of course you're right. Someone might opt to use IE5 for any of a dozen reasons, none of which I'm in a position to argue with -- including the excellent reason you cite.

In my post to which the above was a reply, I actually dithered quite a bit over the wording: didn't want to tell someone NOT to use IE5, but also wanted them (if they chose it) to do so with open eyes. Obviously could've afforded to dither for a few seconds more. :)

Thanks for the clarification, Chuck.