Re: XSL iteration

Subject: Re: XSL iteration
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 09:31:22 GMT

> Although, one argument might be that while "others" have been waiting for
> things to happen we at least have an implementation we can work with.

Well server side of course there are a surprisingly large number of
implementations. It is just client side (which I agree is potentially
more interesting) where only ie5 is in the game so far.

However my comment wasn't really a criticism of Microsoft who (for once)
have not been entirely unreasonable here. They built a passable
approximation to the XSL working draft at the time, with some extensions
which they unfortunately put into the xsl namespace, but otherwise
it was fair enough (and good for XSL to have some large company backing).
It is inevitable if unfortunate that JC, MK etc can update their
releases of java classes a lot quicker than MS can release newer
versions of IE meting the various drafts of the spec.

However the fact is that ie5 is 100% incompatible with XSLT
(no stylesheet works with both languages) so it is really confusing if
people ask for help on this list without saying explictly if they are
using IE. Especially if (as you did:-) the posting refers to `XSLT'
which name was introduced when the draft split off from the FO draft
and so refers to drafts all of which post date the IE implementation by
some months.

David