Re: Offline use of xsl in IE5

Subject: Re: Offline use of xsl in IE5
From: "Steve Muench" <smuench@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 13:23:58 -0800
You can do both client-side and server-side XSL,
or mix/match the two. I'd recommend installing
a lightweight webserver on your laptop that
can do Servlets so you can experiment, like:

  -> Apache 1.3.9 with JServ 1.0
  -> IIS from Microsoft with ServletExec from NewAtlanta
  -> Oracle Web-to-Go (comes with JDeveloper 3.0 and/or
     Oracle8i Lite)

That will set you up with the mobile web infrastructure
to test/run everything on your own laptop in an offline,
or disconnected, mode.

If you're using Oracle already, I'd then suggest
you take a look at the Oracle XSQL Servlet that
makes turning SQL queries that you already know how
to do into XML for the purpose of client or server-side
XSLT transformation. It comes with a bunch of examples
and demos you can install and study to see how to
easily combine SQL, XML, and XSLT.

http://technet.oracle.com/tech/xml/xsql_servlet

There's also Apache's Cocoon framework which you
can find at: http://xml.apache.org that is a more
general XML publishing solution that might fit
your needs. It would install as a servlet under
one of the setups described above, too.

Hope this helps.
Steve Muench, Consulting Product Manager & XML Evangelist
Business Components for Java Development Team
http://technet.oracle.com/tech/java
http://technet.oracle.com/tech/xml