Re: xsl:for-each and variables

Subject: Re: xsl:for-each and variables
From: crism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Christopher R. Maden)
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 18:03:04 -0800
[Mark D. Anderson]
>i replaced this line:
> <xsl:variable name="temp">data/row</xsl:variable>
>with this:
> <xsl:variable name="temp" select="data/row"/>
>
>the interesting distinction here is what this means:
><xsl:for-each select="$temp">
>
>with my variable value, $temp is a result tree fragment (right, everyone?)
>which is then converted to a node-set for the for-each.

No.  With his declaration, $temp is a result tree fragment containing a
text node with the string "data/row".  Your declaration sets $temp to a
node set, the set of all nodes matching the pattern "data/row".

-Chris, finally caught up with a week-plus's mail from XML'99/MT'99/XSL WG
last week.

--
Christopher R. Maden, Solutions Architect
Exemplary Technologies