Special entity characters in Shift-JIS XSL.

Subject: Special entity characters in Shift-JIS XSL.
From: Douglas Weed <Dweed@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 08:55:56 -0500
An application has been developed which uses the Microsoft MXSML parser
enclosed in a DLL to apply XSL files against an XML stream.  The encoding is
in Shift-JIS as the application is double byte. The net result of the
application is HTML.  The target browser has been developed to understand
certain 'special characters' or entities, which in themselves are double
byte.  Much in the same way &#39; maps to an asterisk.  For example
&#249;&#134; would yield a special 2 byte character which is a Q surrounded
by a circle.  If this character sequence is placed directly into a .htm
page, it works.  However, as I suspected, when placed within an xsl file and
transformed with the xml, it yields nothing since the parser tries format
it.  I attempted to use an in-line DTD to define the entity and use the
definition within the XML file, however, MSXML has some real difficulties
handling an in-line DTD when the XML is a character string and not a file.
The work-arounds specified by MS are not feasible.  The question : does
another technique exist to have the XSL file ignore &#249;&#134; and pass it
straight through to the HTML stream?  Sorry for the length of the message
and thanks for any responses.