Re: Special entity characters in Shift-JIS XSL.

Subject: Re: Special entity characters in Shift-JIS XSL.
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 10:15:58 GMT

> I admire James Clark's XT, but I can hardly use it for Russian -
> because there's no way to make it output anything but UTF-8.

This is true (at least the second part is true) but that doesn't
really mean that you can't use it for Russian, just that you
need to clean the output up a bit.

Once you have the utf8 file, converting that to KOI8-r is a simple
matter of running through the file as a stream of bytes, you don't need
to parse it as XML. This could be done via perl or a little C or java
program. somewhere I saw a general recoding program on the web,
unicode site or Rick Jelliffe's I think.

> I think a universal solution would be a proper support for US-ASCII
> output encoding.  This would quote to numeric entities all characters

This would be good for me. (Writing in English, with English element
names, and the occasional accented `foreign' word in character data.)
It isn't so good for real support for Cyrillic XML files as you can't
use entity references in element start or end tags.

David