RE: preceding sibling test

Subject: RE: preceding sibling test
From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 16:44:47 -0000
> 	<xsl:template match="PB_ITEM">
> 	   <xsl:if test="not(USER = preceding-sibling::USER[position()=1])">
> 	      <xsl:apply-templates select="USER"/>
> 	   </xsl:if>
> 	... etc
>
> 	but this always evaluates to true, so what am I doing wrong ?

The test will evaluate to true if the PB_ITEM has no child USER whose
string-value is the same as the string-value of the previous child USER, and
if it is true, it will then apply-templates to all USER children regardless
whether they satisfy this condition.

I suspect what you meant to write was something like

> 	<xsl:template match="PB_ITEM">
 	      <xsl:apply-templates
select="USER[not(.=previous::sibling::USER[1])]"/>

Which will apply-templates to every child USER whose string value is not the
same as the previous child USER.

Mike Kay