Joining two trees

Subject: Joining two trees
From: Matthew Cordes <mcorde61@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 09:07:13 -0500
Hello, I have the following XML...

<Root>
        <Category value="Arts, Entertainment, &amp; Media">
            <Subject value="African-American Literature">
           <Person value="RAIMON">
                    <Alias>RAIMON</Alias>
                <Name>Eve Raimon</Name>
                </Person>
            </Subject>
        </Category>
        <Category value="Arts, Entertainment, &amp; Media">
            <Subject value="African-American Literature">
                <Person value="JKUENZ">
                    <Alias>JKUENZ</Alias>
                    <Name>Jane Kuenz</Name>
                </Person>
            </Subject>
        </Category>
</Root>

As you can see, the Category and Subject nodes repeat, Is there a
way I can collapse them into just 1 set of Category and Subject nodes?
I want to iterate over the data and group people who are from similar
categories and subjects.

If there isn't a way top do this, Is there a way to find/test exact node
while creating a tree in perl or java?  By this I mean, how in my script
(perl/java) if I was adding JKUENZ (the second Person above) to the tree
could I identify that she should be added to the same category node and
subject node as RAIMON (above) and not create a mostly duplicate limb (as
above).  I guess what I want is to be able to use XSL-ish tests to find
specific nodes within my scripts.

I've experimented a little with the Perl XML::XPath modules, Does Java
have any support for XQL or XPath?

-matt