RE: Future XSLT expansion.

Subject: RE: Future XSLT expansion.
From: "Didier PH Martin" <martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 09:48:20 -0500
Hi David,

David said:
Note you can obtain a node set from a variable, but just not from a
variable that holds a result tree fragment.

Didier replies:
Yes, and this is this feature that let me think that maybe the actual specs
allow enough latitude to get a node-set from a result tree (without casting
but as an inherent feature). But, I was wrong, the actual specs do not allow
such latitude.

David said:
The fact that accessing result tree fragments would be useful is
documented in appendix G of the spec.

So one assumes they just ran out of time and didn't want to risk
including this in the 1.0 version until all issues had been more worked
out.

David

     G Features under Consideration for Future Versions of XSLT
     (Non-Normative)

        a way to put the text of a resource identified by a URI into the
result tree;

        allow for result tree fragments all operations that are allowed for
node-sets;

Didier replies:
Thanks David, I didn't noticed this note in the appendixes. So, let's hope
that this will be in XSLT 2.0. But for now, let's hope that we'll have at
least a browser with the full XSLT 1.0 implemented.

Cheers
Didier PH Martin
Email: martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Conferences: Web Chicago(http://www.mfweb.com)