RE: Namespace Jungle

Subject: RE: Namespace Jungle
From: RSuiter@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 13:24:14 -0600
Carlos Araya asked :

> I have an
> XSL stylesheet that works OK with INternet explorer <snip/>
> ("http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xsl";). What would I need to do to
> change it to
> be compliant with [real xslt]?

Linda van den Brink pointed him to the Microsoft converter:

>Microsoft has a tool to convert old stylesheets that follow their
>implementation of XSL to the new version of XSLT. I haven't tried it, but
it
>sounds like you can use it. See
>http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/webtechnology/xml/xsltconv.asp

But it doesn't quite do the whole job.
First, Microsoft states up front that it only converts to the subset of the
spec that the preview release supports.
Second, I've found some spots where it doesn't do quite what you expect.
The majority of these concern syntax that the old implementation accepted
even when it shouldn't
(for example: < xsl:if select="xxx"> -- should be ... test="xxx">).  When I
corrected these cases before running the converter most of the problems
went away.
My very rough estimate is that the converter does about 90% of the work you
need to do.  Which is a big help.

Rick Suiter