RE: <xsl:choose> <xsl:when> problem

Subject: RE: <xsl:choose> <xsl:when> problem
From: "Medina, Edward" <emedina@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 09:50:53 -0400
>> although David I suspect you
>hmm (I assume you mean me?) I plead not guilty.

Yes you assume correctly David.

>> Whole bunch more of xsl ommited.....
>actually you could have ommited some more

maybe, but I could not leave out something that might have
created my problem.

><xsl:when test="contains (@align,'right')">
>			<SPAN style="
>			width=100%;
>			 font-weight: bold;
>			font-size: medium">
>			 (<xsl:value-of select="//para/@secur.classif"/>)
>				<SPAN style="
>

>so what have you there?
>
>An xsl:when node inside of which are children, in order
>a text node containing an EOL and 24 spaces. (this is discarded as it's all
white space)
>a SPAN node  (this becomes a literal result element as it's not xsl)
>a text node containing an EOL 24 spaces and a ( This isn't all white, so
isn't stripped)
>an xsl:value-of node (this is taken as an xsl instruction)
>a text node containing a ) an EOL and some spaces
>... more stuff

yes I want the ( and ) surounding the <xsl:value-of
select="//para/@secur.classif"/>
to be literal, and appear.  I don't want to deal with all the &gt& stuff,
besides I'm
not sure wher I put the info, and need to work rather quickly.

However the white space does not appear so it is stripped, somehow.

>If you want to use white space in your stylesheet to indent the code
>and you never want that to appear in the output, make sure that the text
>nodes _only_ contain white space, by putting literal
>characters the ( and ) here inside <xsl:text>(</xsl:text>
>
>David

I'm not quite sure what you are saying here by <xsl:text>(</xsl:text>.
I realize that is xsl, and should be nested within the template match, but
exactly where?  Will that replace my regular text?

Eddy