Re: <xsl:choose> <xsl:when> problem

Subject: Re: <xsl:choose> <xsl:when> problem
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 13:25:39 +0100 (BST)
> although David I suspect you
hmm (I assume you mean me?) I plead not guilty.

> Whole bunch more of xsl ommited.....
actually you could have ommited some more

<xsl:when test="contains (@align,'right')">
			<SPAN style="
			width=100%;
			 font-weight: bold;
			font-size: medium">
			 (<xsl:value-of select="//para/@secur.classif"/>)
				<SPAN style="

so what have you there?

An xsl:when node inside of which are children, in order
a text node containing an EOL and 24 spaces. (this is discarded as it's all white space)
a SPAN node  (this becomes a literal result element as it's not xsl)
a text node containing an EOL 24 spaces and a ( This isn't all white, so isn't stripped)
an xsl:value-of node (this is taken as an xsl instruction)
a text node containing a ) an EOL and some spaces
... more stuff

If you want to use white space in your stylesheet to indent the code
and you never want that to appear in the output, make sure that the text
nodes _only_ contain white space, by putting literal
characters the ( and ) here inside <xsl:text>(</xsl:text>

David