A fascinating puzzle

Subject: A fascinating puzzle
From: Ken Burnside <Ken.Burnside@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 09:25:25 -0500
I have an XSL page that's meant to transform the results of a database
query into a printed report.

For most of the ones I've done, it's been fairly straightforward.  The
current one, however....

I need the XSL page to do the following

1) Evaluate the number of records pulled from the databse.  All records are
1 line long.
2) Compare that number to 33 (the number of lines available for the form)
   2A) If the number of records is <33, determine how many "blank lines"
there are. Populate the white space with HRs in lines 10 points apart for
writing notes on this form.
   2B) If the number of records is =33, print all forms on the page (this
can be treated as a case of 2A, and is listed here for completeness)
   2C) If the number of recrods is >33, divide by 33, keeping the remainder
as a whole number.  Print records at 33 per page, and follow he procedure
of 2A for the last page if there is a non-zero remainder.

I can probably get the DB guys to give me a record count when the records
are copied from the database.    How would I evaluate that number as a
number, rather than the string?

This will probably be a two-pass problem, the first as I get meta-code, the
second as I convert the meta-code to XSL and watch things break.

Ken Burnside
Circuit Court Automation project.