Re: Netscape Support for XSL - client vs server rant

Subject: Re: Netscape Support for XSL - client vs server rant
From: "Sebastian Rahtz" <sebastian.rahtz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 12:16:07 +0100 (BST)
Keith Visco writes:
 > by a very large number of people. These people (the developers) won't
 > get paid, they won't get any fame, and they will get very little
 > recognition. So why do they do it? Because they believe in the
 > technology, and like you they need products that support that
 > technology.

You are being a bit disingenuous. There are lots of rewards that
accrue to free software developers. For instance, you *do* get fame (within
professional circles), which makes a huge difference when applying for
jobs. You get consultancy, you often get to write books, you often
re-use your free work to get your day work done.

Dont get me wrong, I am on your side; I just recognize that I
personally (who have put thousands and thousands of hours of my own
time into free software) have seen benefit from it. I doubt I would
have got either my last or my current job without that work I did (and
do) for free. I invested my time, other people benefitted, I
benefitted too. The system works. Equally, when people criticize my
free work, I don't complain, but try to fix it, because I need that
(in very limited circles!) fame.

Sebastian