RE: asp assistance please

Subject: RE: asp assistance please
From: "Paulo Gaspar" <paulo.gaspar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 17:21:08 +0200
First I present my credentials on this issue:
- As some of you might have noticed, I have been using a lot of
  Microsoft tools, including MSXML... with Borland's Delphi ISAPI
  extensions. I also have a lot  experience with ASPs (argh!) IIS,
  ADO, COM and many other Microsoft tools and technologies.
- On the other hand, I have not been so noisy in this mailing list
  during the last few weeks because I made the jump to Java/Oracle
  stuff and I am going trough another technology absorption shock.

Now...
- This Delphi/MSXML/MS-stuff match is a symptom that I am not a
  "Microsoft man" but that I have no complexes about using Microsoft
  stuff;
- This jump to Java based technologies gives the practical knowledge
  about why you, the Java guys, love it so much;
- And both things give me a clear notion of the problems that
  Pawson's colleague could be facing.

There are 2 ways of facing this:
 1. Pawson's colleague fights servlets or JSPs;
 2. Pawson fights MSXML.

If the target is to make some long term work, I would advise the 1st
option because:
 - JSPs are quite similar to ASPs;
 - Even Servlets are quite easy and a bit familiar to a ASP
   programmer, with its Response/Request parameters;
 - Enough Java to build simple servlets is not so hard to learn,
   especially if he knows some JScript and if you have some Servlet
   templates or a Java tool with a wizard that produces them.
However:
 - This only works on a long term basis because of the server itself.
   Configuring a sever for Java can take more time to learn than all
   the rest. Even JRun 2 (that couples with IIS) is tricky to
   configure, in my experience.

If the target is only to execute the "stylesheet sara.xsl to produce
sara.html" using "a single parameter 'forms=true' or forms='false'",
than I am sure that the option 2 (Pawson fights MSXML) is the one
requiring less effort, since:
 - If Pawson's colleague is familiar with ASPs and the use of COM
   objects, the programmatic aspects of calling MSXML are quite simple
   and there is a lot of documentation and samples on how to do it,
   both from Microsoft and 3rd party publications;

 - "MSXML Technology Preview - May 2000" is much closer to the
   standards then previous releases - which eases Pawson's troubles
   when comparing with the initial MSXML edition.

Pros and cons of MSXML3 - May 2000:
- MSXML 3 May 2000 already implements hard misses from previous
  editions like "xsl:import", "xsl:include" and a lot of XPath axis;
  (Although I am not sure if a couple of this axis aren't still
  missing.)

- I think others (e.g. Michael Kay) might be better qualified to
  talk about what features are missing for MSXML to meet the standard,
  but I think that most issues should be easy to work around;

- The most limitative issue that I see being raised about MSXML is
  that you can not reliably reference XML HTTP based sources when
  using MSXML on a server application. (For me, this is its most
  stupid limitation.) This limits including or importing XML trough
  HTTP, but I think that you can still use server (e.g. ASP) generated
  XML and transform it using local file stored XSL by using the "XSL
  ISAPI Filter 2".

How to start using the thing:

 - I advise downloading the MSXML May 2000 edition. You can find the
   link to its page from Microsoft's "XML Developer Centre" page:
     http://msdn.microsoft.com/xml
   It is currently at the top right corner with a big picture;

- Download both the parser ("Download the May 2000 MSXML Technology
  Preview Release (427 KB)") and its documentation ("Download the
  latest MSXML Technology Preview SDK (1.1 MB)");
  (You will find this MSXML help quite easy to use and complete,
  although not 100% complete (especially in samples) or exact.)

- Also check the Bug List page. You have a link for it in the same
  page where you have the above links;

- If you have Internet Explorer, check the (MS HTML format) help file
  in the SDK for instructions on how to install MSXML3 in replace
  mode. This will allow you to easily check XSL transformations using
  static files with IE and this version of MSXML;
  (Check "XML Developer's Guide"/"XML DOM User Guide"/"Running Msxml3
  in Replace Mode".)

- Samples on programmatic use of MSXML can be found in Microsoft's
  site but there are a lot of extra samples in:
    http://www.asptoday.com/
  They have an XML topic page there.

- I think that the "XSL ISAPI Filter 2" could also prove interesting.
  Check the http://msdn.microsoft.com/xml page also for this one.

The above stuff can help some one else going trough the MSXML dilemma.
(This is an excuse for writing so much!)

But to Pawson, I owe more than that. His FAQ helped me a lot on starting
with XSL... and I am not the only one in this situation.

So, Mr. Pawson, feel free to mail me with further questions if you want.

Have fun,

Paulo Gaspar
(paulo.gaspar@xxxxxxxxxxxx)