Re: Namespaces and IE5.5 (not IE 5.0)

Subject: Re: Namespaces and IE5.5 (not IE 5.0)
From: Mike Brown <mike@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 13:03:05 -0700 (PDT)
Don Bruey wrote:
> I have learned a great deal from the FAQ about namespaces but can't find any
> IE5.5 -specific info on which namespaces "mean" something to IE5.5. (Not
> IE5.0)

IE 5.5 ships with the same version of the MSXML toolkit as IE 5.0.

If you want it to recognize the XSLT namespace and behave apporpriately
for XSLT 1.0 code, you have to install the newer MSXML release and tell
IE to use it.

Easiest way to do this is to go to
http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/webtechnology/xml/msxml.asp
and download the May 2000 release, aka MSXML3 (note that a new one is
due any day now), then run 'xmlinst' which will be in your Windows
system32 directory.

> I assume that it's because IE5.5 doesn't associate
> "http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"; with a namespace.

The namespace is identified by the URI. The question is whether the
URI is recognized as identifying a namespace that the XSL processor
should do something special with, of if it should use the default
behavior of treating elements in that namespace as it would any
other literal result elements.

> Question:  How do I know specifically which namespace identifiers IE5.5
> "knows."  I would like to try using some of the new-to-IE5.5 functionality
> such as preceding-sibling, etc. but IE5.5 doesn't appear to recognize them.

There is no new-to-IE5.5 functionality, as far as the MSXML component is
concerned.

-Mike