RE: running msxml3 from command line

Subject: RE: running msxml3 from command line
From: Andrew Kimball <akimball@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 13:44:49 -0700
Excerpted from a previous response:

When we parse an XML document, we strip all non-significant (no xml:space in
scope) space by default and replace it with bit flags that mark where space
existed at one time (this cuts down the  memory footprint significantly).
When the document is passed to the XSL processor, the processor cannot
determine what whitespace was originally present within the xsl:text
element, so it outputs
a single space by default.  There are several ways to get the output you
desire, ordered from least expensive (in terms of parse time and memory
usage):
	- Use an entity to specify a significant whitespace character --
<xsl:text>&#xA;</xsl:text>
	- Use xml:space on the xsl:text element -- <xsl:text
xml:space="preserve">(CR here)</xsl:text>
	- Instruct the parser to preserve all space --
dom.preserveWhiteSpace = true before calling dom.load

FYI, if you're wondering if this is conformant, see my response to Mike
Brown's message earlier today.

~Andy Kimball
MSXSL Dev