Re: Bug in 'xsl:sort'. ( XT vs SAXON. )

Subject: Re: Bug in 'xsl:sort'. ( XT vs SAXON. )
From: Paul Tchistopolskii <paul@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2000 05:01:48 -0700
----- Original Message -----
From: Jeni Tennison

> >Right. But I'm not sure the question is about 'English'. I think the
> >question realy is 'in UTF8' ?
>
> I disagree.  The xsl:sort documentation says: "'text' specifies that the
> sort keys should be sorted lexicographically in the culturally correct
> manner for the language specified by lang".  I'm assuming that the default
> language in Sebastians files is English.  Thus the sort should be done in
> English.

There was no Sebastian's files.

I was sorting the file:

<doc>
</doc>

<quote>
lang specifies the language of the sort keys;
it has the same range of values as xml:lang [XML];
if no lang value is specified, the language should be
determined from the system environment
</quote>

Maybe they are 'determining' diffrent languages
from  the 'system environment'. Instant SAXON determines
one 'system environment' and XT  ( I was running
it on Sun's  JVM ) is determining another
'system environment'.

All this is rocket science to me. Very complex stuff.
I give up.

I have a feeling that you understand something  that I
don't understand. To me this is still crazy that 2 processors
are sorting this file differently and both are 'correct'. Anyway -
the usecase could be considered 'exotic and not critical'.

Rgds.Paul.

PS. I now don't understand what is conformant in this world
and what is not .  For sure I'l now always specify  the
'number'  for sorting numbers, like it should be -
but I think this could  result in significant overhead.

PPS. Better not to use XSLT for sorting at all. Who knows
what is that 'conformant sorting?' ;-)