RE: Including a document containing static HTML

Subject: RE: Including a document containing static HTML
From: "Evan Lenz" <elenz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 10:31:39 -0700
I wrote a similar application that allows users to upload HTML in order to
generate custom XSLT stylesheets for our search engine interface (this
feature hasn't been released yet).  I wrote a Java servlet that uses JTidy
(http://www3.sympatico.ca/ac.quick/) to turn the HTML into well-formed XML
and then used a stylesheet with the document() function to include and
transform the input (X)HTML to ultimately generate the custom stylesheet.

If you want to simply copy an HTML fragment into the result, you'll want to
use <xsl:copy-of select="document(@file_name)"/> rather than <xsl:value-of/>
which always copies the string value of the node (which in this case would
be all the text content of your HTML fragment, concatenated together).  I
encourage you to try Tidy (http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett/tidy/) to see if
you can't convert the input to well-formed XML first.
disable-output-escaping only works for <xsl:value-of/> and <xsl:text/>.  In
other words, XSLT will not allow you to process non-well-balanced markup,
whether you intend to escape it or not.  The only alternative that *might*
work (in a very hackish way, mind you) would be too escape all of the HTML
tags before inputting it as just a string, in which case <xsl:value-of/> and
disable-output-escaping may work, depending on the processor.

Hope this helps,

Evan Lenz
elenz@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.xyzfind.com
XYZFind, the search engine *designed* for XML
Download our free beta software: http://www.xyzfind.com/beta