RE: From A to B without ending up at C

Subject: RE: From A to B without ending up at C
From: "Evan Lenz" <elenz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 14:58:50 -0700
Try this:

<xsl:template match="/">
    <xsl:value-of disable-output-escaping="yes" select="data"/>
</xsl:template>

Note that this probably will work and is probably the most appropriate
solution for this problem (embedded text that's HTML), but it kind of breaks
the pure XSLT model.  If you were to specify multiply transformations in a
sort of pipeline, which you should theoretically always be able to do in
XSLT, it's not clear where the output escaping is disabled.  Is it converted
to "true" markup before the second transformation?  Or does it remain text
until the document is serialized?  This is an example of one of the
serialization hooks (in addition to xsl:output, etc.) that make problems
like this one simple to solve, but that extend XSLT outside its proper
domain, which is to transform one tree into another tree.

Hope this has answered your question.

Evan Lenz
elenz@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.xyzfind.com
XYZFind, the search engine *designed* for XML
Download our free beta software: http://www.xyzfind.com/beta