RE: Paging using XSLT

Subject: RE: Paging using XSLT
From: Kevin Williams <Kevin.Williams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 18:11:27 -0400 (EST)
> Indeed. I've been out to several customers who've tried
> to do this "paging" in one way or another with XSLT. The least
> efficient way I've observed is a customer who was
> querying 25,000 rows of database data into XML
> (using the Oracle XML SQL Utility) and then using
> top-level stylesheet parameters and <xsl:if> elements
> in their stylesheet to "filter" the data to emit
> only rows N through M of those 25000 onto the browser.
> (Where M-N is usually in the 10-15 range).
> Steve Muench, Lead XML Evangelist & Consulting Product Manager

I see this mistake everywhere I look, and it's been a problem since before
the days of XML. The cardinal rule when marshalling data should be
"eliminate unnecessary information as early in the process as possible" -
typically in the relational database layer itself. Otherwise, you're just
chewing up bandwidth and memory, and forcing platforms not well suited to
data manipulation (such as XSLT) to do the work instead...

- Kevin