Implementing "value-of" on a (DOM) Node

Subject: Implementing "value-of" on a (DOM) Node
From: Gerard Maas <gerard.maas@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 16:37:20 +0100
Hi,

I'm currently working in a project involving Cocoon as framework where
I'm trying to integrate Generic XML data sources into XML templates to
be "cocoonized": fed into the Cocoon reactor to tranform the resulting
XML in a compatible form for the target device (VoiceXML, XHtml, WAP...)

While doing this, I've been having difficulties to implement the
insertion of XML 'pieces' (a piece (for me) is a XPath retrieving only
one subtree).
The XPath stuff is alredy working but I'm stuck trying to get the value
of the node retrived by the call to XPath. I get a org.w3c.dom.Node and
I'd like to apply a function that would retrieve what xsl:value-of
select=<this node> would.
I saw the XSLT processor implementation (XALAN)  but I can't get a grip
in the code (ElementValueOf).  Is there somewhere a more comprehensive
way to do that?

ValueOf (org.w3c.dom.Node)  :- String

Thanks in advance,

Gerard.