XSL-FO: footnotes in tables

Subject: XSL-FO: footnotes in tables
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 18:36:11 GMT
If I want to have footnotes (or rather tablenotes) in tables
then it appears I'm not supposed to use fo:footnote for this.
(Having just got that to work in xmltex, I finally printed  a copy
of the XSL spec, and noticed that this appears to be wrong, and that
fo:footnote always refers to page level notes and isn't allowed in
floats.)

So for tables I need to put just the marker in the table and arrange
for the footnote text to be positioned by a suitable formatting object?

But this means I need to stuff out a list or at least an fo:block
containing the footnote texts.

fo:table-and-caption has content table-caption?,table so I can't put
such a list after the table, does this mean that I have to construct a
spanning entry within the table foot that contains any table notes?

I expect the answer is yes, but just looking for a confirmation before
I start wondering how to get XSLT to do this for me... (starting from
docbook).

David